Studley Court Hospital

Studley Court Hospital in Stourbridge was opened in September 1914 as a direct response to the outbreak of war. The building is now owned by the council and forms part of Mary Stevens Park.

Medical staff, Studley Court Hospital, Stourbridge

Medical staff, Studley Court Hospital, Stourbridge

An Emergency Meeting of the Red Cross Society was convened  at Stourbridge Town Hall on 8 Aug 1914 to discuss the matter and the raising of money. The invitation card to this meeting can be found in Molly Evans’s scrapbook. In Hagley, some like William Edmund Downing made financial contributions. He became treasurer of the Hagley War Fund.  Molly Evans herself signed up to become a nurse and was soon enrolled for a period of training at the Dudley Guest Hospital. By mid September the facilities at Studley Court were ready and a trickle of wounded soldiers, mainly Belgian’s started to arrive throughout October 1914.

The scrapbook recounts photos and letters with these early patients. A number of group photos of nurses porters and patients show outside views of the building – although there are no internal views.

Molly Evans left the hospital in early 1915 to go and work with the VAD at the No 2 Hospital in Le Havre in France.

See Also

  • Pat Dunn: Hagley, a village at war, 1914-1918 (Hagley Historical and Field Society), 2014
Last updated on November 11, 2017 by JJ Morgan