Joseph Dezitter’s Pictures of Bergues

During the First World War, Joseph Dezitter (1883-1957), a Flemish artist, was mobilised and participated in the Belgian campaign where he was seriously wounded in 1914. After recovering he joined the ambulance auxiliary services in Northern France. Travelling between military hospitals, he took the opportunity to paint the places he visited. Continue reading →
Last updated on January 24, 2018 by E Morgan

Morgan Back and Co

Morgan Back and Co, a firm of Incorporated Accountants, was founded in 1935 after the dissolution of John R Woodley, Morgan and Co. The draft letter of agreement between William Henry Morgan and William John Back has survived. This document was held in the offices of 34-36 Gresham Street when the building was blitzed in about 1941. Despite the burnt fringes it has been kept and is still legible. Continue reading →
Last updated on October 9, 2017 by JJ Morgan

Noel Letter to Mother 1915

This is the only war letter that has survived written by Noel Downing to his mother Hannah Pitt Downing.   It has no date but it seems to recount his early experiences at Ashtead as a private with the Royal Fusiliers and that would make it most probably around Feb 1915. It would seem to post date the other letter address-headed Ashtead to his sister Mary as the Public School boys are being moved from billets (like Mrs Drew) into the new camp.  Continue reading →
Last updated on April 15, 2018 by JJ Morgan


There are several collections of letters in our possession that relate to the people described on this website. Continue reading →
Last updated on April 7, 2018 by JJ Morgan

Wilmot to Teddy Letter

This letter, from Wilmot Evans to his uncle Edward Dimmack Marten, is written on 30 Jan 1915 from the trenches. Wilmot had returned after a spell of leave back in Hagley, probably in early January, after his ordeal at the first Battle of Ypres in October 1914. He was to stay in France until he was wounded again on 16 May 1915. Continue reading →
Last updated on October 2, 2017 by JJ Morgan

WED to Mary Letter

This letter was written to Mary Downing by her father congratulating her on the award of the “Royal Red Cross Medal”. He addresses her as ‘Bobkins’ which ties in with the 1889 letter to Mary from WL Browne where she is addressed as Miss ‘Bobbie’ Downing. This letter gives an insight into the personality of William Edmund Downing. Continue reading →
Last updated on October 10, 2017 by JJ Morgan

Noel to Molly Letter

This letter was written on 11 November 1916 – shortly after Noel Downing had returned to the trenches after taking up his commission in the Welsh Guards. Molly Evans has resigned her nursing post in France to return home to look after her mother, whose health had deteriorated after the death of Wilmot on the first day of the battle of the Somme, 1 July 1916. Continue reading →
Last updated on February 14, 2018 by JJ Morgan

Noel Letter 1 Harrow

This letter to Mary is written whilst Noel is a boarder at Harrow school. The ‘baby’ referred to is Nancy Grazebrook born on 5 Feb 1905, the first child of his sister Daisy. Continue reading →
Last updated on February 1, 2018 by JJ Morgan

Aubrey Webster

Aubrey Herbert Bower Webster was born in 1888, the only son of the Rev John Webster of Ombersley, Droitwich. He was educated at King’s School, Worcester. In 1907 he won an Exhibition to Brasenose College Oxford and was a close friend of Noel Downing. After Oxford, he became a school teacher. Continue reading →
Last updated on October 6, 2017 by JJ Morgan